Tuesday 6 November 2012

University Assignment 01 & 02

This year, the topic we are focusing on is creative photography (hence all the weird photography below this for directed studies etc).  We were given two assignments, the first was to take a 'creative' self portrait of yourself that conveys something about you.



I already had a good idea of what I wanted to do for the self portrait as I accidentally came across this tunnel the other day when I got the wrong train to some dive in Birmingham.  I knew this would be a decent spot for the portrait I wanted to do so I went back there, set up the camera and flash on a stand and put on a timer.  It was very difficult to judge when it was going to go off (I don't have a remote for my camera) so I had to try and time my pop in time with the bleeping from the camera and get the timing right.  It was solid.  This was the best photograph I managed to get before my board snapped.

For the second aspect of this project, we were given a list of words and had to pick five of them and then portray those words through a photograph basically.  You could photograph anything as long as you could justify it, but the more 'creative', the better marks essentially.


Danger



Security



Power



Communication



Peace


These were the images that I managed to obtain from the photoshoot.  I feel that there were words that I wasn't as successful in being 'creative' as I could be (communication, danger and communication) but I tried to be more 'creative' with the composition when portraying these words.  The peace photograph is the one I am most happy with because of the variety in the colours and the composition.  I feel this is my best photograph as gravestones portray someone resting in peace and I thought this might come under the 'creative' category but that's for you to judge.
The 'power' photograph is probably the most creative photograph as it could symbolise what once drove the economy in Birmingham with the canal in the foreground and the old bricked chimney showing the old industries that use to bring money into Birmingham.  It's open for your interpretation though.

Hope you like them anyway, feel free to leave comments or feedback.  Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment